Standard Group Plc has notified shareholders and the investing public of the resignation of Dr Githinji Gitahi as an Independent, Non-Executive Director of the publisher with effect from November 10th, 2023.
- During his tenure, Dr Githinji served as Chairperson of the Finance and Audit Committee and a member of the Editorial, Governance & Nominations Committee. He was also a Director of Standard Media Group Foundation.
- The Standard Group PLC is a leading multi-media organization in Kenya, with investments in several platforms that include print operations, television, radio, digital and courier services.
- Directors at the oldest media house in East Africa have also appointed Wesley Kimosop as the Chief Finance Officer w.e.f 1st December 2023.
“The Board takes this opportunity to thank Dr. Githinji for his commitment and invaluable contribution to the Company and wish him the best in all his future endeavours, “said Millicent Ngétich, Company Secretary.
Wesley has over 17 working experience in the banking sector where he worked in senior positions responsible for designing and implementing strategies to achieve business targets.
He joins the Standard Group management team from Access Bank Kenya where he held the position of senior manager in charge of compliance and operating controls as well as Head of Retail Banking. Before that, Wesley worked with NCBA and Diamond Trust in various positions.
Wesley Holds a Bachelor of Commerce degree from the University of Nairobi, is a certified accountant, a member of ICPAK, and is currently pursuing a Master of Science degree in Finance (Finance and Investment) at Kabarak University.
- The resignation of Dr. Githinji and the appointment of a new CFO is happening at a time when the Mombasa road-based media house is in the red and the middle of another round of layoffs to survive in a new digital media space.
- Dr. Githinji Gitahi has been an Independent/Non-Executive Director since 16th March 2018, Chairman of the Finance and Audit Committee and Member of the Editorial Committee.
- Dr. Githinji is the current Group Chief Executive Officer of Amref Health Africa.
Until his appointment to Amref Health Africa, he was the Vice President and Regional Director for Africa, Smile Train International. Before that, he was the Managing Director for Monitor Publications (a Nation Media Group subsidiary in Uganda) as well as General Manager for Marketing and Circulation in East Africa for NMG.
He also held progressively senior positions at GlaxoSmithKline and worked at the Avenue Group and in the Insurance industry.
Dr. Githinji is also the former International Co-Chair of the UHC2030 Steering Committee, a global World Bank and WHO initiative for Universal Health Coverage UHC.