The Kenya Bankers Association in partnership with Kenyan Wallstreet, Strathmore Business School, and New Faces New Voices Kenya, a Graca Machel Network for women in Finance recently launched the Amari Book Club.
The goal of the Amari Book Club is to build a community of both men and women in the financial services sector and facilitate leadership development through mentorship and networking.
We’ve compiled a list of inspiring leadership books recommended by Africa’s leading professionals in the banking and finance who were also speakers a the recent virtual women in banking and finance conference that was geared towards spearheading gender diversity in top leadership.
We hope these books will help inform, equip, and encourage you to become vehicles for change whoever and wherever you are.
Dr. Nancy Onyango’s Recommendations
- Women & Growth, Finance & Development: A Quarterly Publication of the International Monetary Fund March 2019, Volume 56, Number 1
- Invisible Women: Bridging the Gender Data Gap in a World Designed for Men by Caroline Criado Perez
Top 3 Books
- Smart Women Finish Rich by David Bach
- Anger Becomes Her by Soraya Chemaly
- The Kite Runner Khalied Khomeini
Sekou Owino’s Recommendations
List from Book Club 26 Members
Ideas in Contention
Innovators and Movers
Innovators in Organisations
- The Idea Factory: Bell Labs and the Great Age of American Innovation- J. Gertner
- The Everything Store; Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon- Brad Stone
Firechats for the Professional
- Lean In :Women, Work & the Will to lead- Sheryl Sandberg
- Outliers: The story of Success- Malcolm Gladwell
- The Checklist Manifesto: How to get things Right- Atul Gawande
- Better: A Surgeon’s Notes pon Performance- Atul Gawande
- How To Think Like a Freak: – Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner.
- Executing Your Strategy: How to break it Down and Get it Done- Mark Moryan, R. Levitt & William Malek
- The Road to Character- David Brooks
- Nudge: Improving Decisions about Wealth, Health & Happiness-R. Thaler & C. Sunstein
Maserame Mouyeme’s Recommendations
Maserame’s Top Reads
Rekha Mhango’s Recommendations
Diane Karusisi’s Recommendations
Dr Diane’s Top Reads
Patricia Okelo’s Recommendations
Patricia’s Top Reads
Hedwige Nuyens Recommendations
Hedwige’s Top Reads
Esther’s Top Reads