23 Years and 15 million subscribers later, MTN Uganda is offering an Initial Public Offering on the Uganda Securities Exchange. Join Eric Jackson and Wim Vanhelleputte as they break down the IPO, detailing the incentives, the opportunities, the risk factors and the onboarding process for investors.
Watch the video to learn why the Telco operator chose to list now, how MTN is planning to rope retail investors through the m-IPO platform and why low internet penetration and mobile money are key of focus for MTN Uganda’s radar.
MTN Uganda IPO Highlights:
- MTN Uganda is offering 20% of its total 96% shareholding to the public. This is 4.47 billion ordinary shares at UGX 200 per offer share.
- The offer opened on 11 October 2021 and closes on 22 November 2021. Trading will start on 6 December 2021.
- MTN is offering prospective East Africa investors a 5% free share incentive, and an additional 5% for Ugandan investors who participate in the IPO via the m-IPO platform.
- The telco has made a commitment to maintaining the 60% dividend payout ratio post-listing.
- MTN Uganda is taking the low internet penetration opportunity through demand-driven 4G deployment, device financing and leveraging on-demand for localized digital content.
- The company sees the m-IPO process as key to addressing liquidity concerns on the USE through creating trading opportunities in the secondary market.
- Tune in to all our podcasts directly through the Hisa App on Android or iOS, or subscribe to the Kenyan Wallstreet podcast wherever you listen from.
This episode features:
Eric Jackson – Co-founder and CTO, Hisa
Wim Vanhelleputte – CEO, MTN Uganda
Produced by Mwakaneno Gakweli