Mon, 09-Feb 2026

Search news articles
  • Home
  • AllAgricultureBankingAviationEnergyManufacturingTechnologyStartups
  • Geopolitics
  • Kenya Business NewsAfrican Business NewsGlobal News
  • Press Releases
  • Shows
Subscribe
Events
Subscribe
  • Home
  • AllAgricultureBankingAviationEnergyManufacturingTechnologyStartups
  • Geopolitics

    Contact Us

    Media Queries & Partnerships:[email protected]

    About Us

    We are a leading integrated digital content platform providing in-depth business and financial news across Sub-Saharan Africa & the globe.

    Disclaimer

    The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only.
    © 2026 Wallstreet Africa Technologies LTD.. All Rights Reserved.
    1.0.32

    South Sudan Blocks All Social Media To Censor Gory Content

    Brian
    By Brian Nzomo
    - January 23, 2025
    - January 23, 2025
    African Wall StreetAnalysisPublic Policy
    South Sudan Blocks All Social Media To Censor Gory Content

    On Wednesday, the South Sudan’s government ordered all Internet Service Providers (ISPs) in the country to block access to social media platforms like TikTok and Facebook for three months.

    • •The National Communication Authority (NCA) explained that the decision was made to prevent exposure to videos and posts exposing the scale of violence against refugees
    • •Last week, a viral video circulated in social media revealing alleged Sudanese soldiers attacking refugees in Wad Madani, Gezira state.
    • •South Sudan’s internet penetration stood at 12.1 percent in early 2024, with more than 700, 000 social media users, according to a report by DataReportal.

    “We formally request the blockage of these media sites for a minimum of 30 days. This directive may be lifted as soon as the situation is contained,” said the statement from the NCA signed by the Director General, Napoleon Adok.

    The regulator said that posting the gory video of women and children being murdered was contrary to the country’s local laws on public safety and mental health, prompting an immediate shutdown of certain social media channels.

    The country’s telcos, MTN and Zain, confirmed that they complied with the directive. Both of them released statements informing the public that they had suspended the social media platforms.

    The decision has spurred an uproar as the country’s citizens are surprised why their own government would want to conceal injustices against their own people. Internet and social media censorship is not a new phenomenon in the country but it is becoming a template for regimes elsewhere.

    The Age of Censorship

    In Kenya, The Principal Secretary in the Ministry of Interior met with representatives from Telcos and social media companies to deliberate on strategies to combat ‘digital abuse’. The meeting’s output included plans to order social media platforms to open physical offices locally.

    Although governments mulling internet censorship often give ‘justifiable’ reasons for their actions, the wider strategy is intended to control information and muzzle criticism over its malevolent policies.

    Even in countries like the US, the TikTok ban was made in the name of ‘protecting citizens’ data’ from being access by the Chinese government. However, a closer appraisal of the move could be linked to the desire by the US government to control facets of information in tandem with its interests – especially in regard to the Palestine-Israel conflict.

    In Kenya, government says that tightening the leash on social media will curb harassment and clean up the cyberspace. However, anyone with a keen eye will see exactly what is happening. The government’s desperation to shape online narratives – a prized asset it has lost since the Finance Bill protests last year.

    Over the last one year, X has been a thorn in the flesh for politicians worldwide, as it generally allows netizens to freely express their discontent with respective governments. Brazil lifted a ban on X in October last year after a tug-of-war between the country’s Judiciary and the platform’s owner, Elon Musk.

    Several European countries have also contemplated banning X for ‘promoting extremist content’ in the name of free speech. Governments in these countries have remarked that X, with the blessing of Musk, has allowed misinformation and incendiary narratives to run amok.

    The Kenyan Wall Street

    We are a leading integrated digital content platform providing in-depth business and financial news across Africa & the globeSubscribe
    Loading...
    Loading...
    Loading...
    Loading...
    Loading...
    Loading...
    Loading...
    Loading...
    Loading...
    Loading...
    Loading...
    Loading...
    Loading...
    Loading...
    Loading...
    Loading...
    Loading...
    Loading...
    Loading...
    Loading...

    Your edge in markets, powered by AI

    Explore cutting-edge insights with our AI assistant, delivering real-time analysis, personalized news, and in-depth answers at your fingertips.

    Sign Up

    Show me today’s top trades

    Explain the market in simple terms

    What’s my next smart move?

    Report Issue

    Wall Street Africa Business Intelligence

    Access exclusive news, expert analysis, and tools designed to give investors an edge.

    Fixed Income

    Real-time bond pricing with instant calculations, auction data, yield curves, and trend analysis for Africa’s fixed-income markets.

    Local and Global Insights

    Unique perspective with a blend of local and global news and analysis, tailored for African investors.

    Real-Time Economic Indicators

    Monitor inflation, currency movements, and other key economic indicators for African countries.

    Interactive Data for Local Markets

    Visualize trends and compare markets across Africa with interactive charts and tools.
    Wallstreet Africa
    Wallstreet Africa
    Wallstreet Africa