South Africa is set to begin testing the electronic visa (e-Visa) access for Kenyans as from this month. The new systems aims at eliminating the need to go to a South Africa embassy to obtain a visa.
The pilot will be conducted with Kenya first at the OR Tambo and Lanseria airports. At the end of the month, we will evaluate the project and look which other countries to expand the e-Visa system to.”Siya Qoza, spokesperson for the South African Department of Home affairs
The procedure for acquiring the e-Visa is as follows:
- Fill the online application form
- Pay the e-Visa fee
- Receive the e-Visa at the email address provided on the application form
Other additional requirements for a successful application are:
- South Africa e-Visa requirements
- A valid passport that won’t expire for at least 6 months past the date of travel
- Credit card to pay the fees online
With everything required in place, the application process is estimated to take approimately twenty minutes.
However, the system is not live yet, and will also only be a short term visa. It will not grant the Kenyan to remain in South Africa for extended periods of time.