HKenya’s ICT sector has recorded remarkable growth in
The high rate of mobile subscriptions is attributable to a drop in the price of smartphones as well as lower data charges. A report by Jumia shows that average smartphone prices declined by 116 per cent from KSh18 600 to KSh 8600 between 2014 and 2018. Similarly, the cost of data dropped from 3.7
Jumia says it has recorded more than 5 times growth in
According to the ecommerce company, 73 percent of transactions on their platform were done through mobile phones while 27 percent were done through desktop machines. In the same manner, 70 percent of the payments were made through mobile-money while the remaining 30 percent of payments done through card transactions and cash.
Kenya has over 200,000 mobile money agents. A report the Communication Authority shows that mobile money transactions worth KSh2.trillion were done between July and September 2018 equivalent to 24 percent of Kenya’s GDP.