Sleeping Airports, an internationally recognized travelers’ online guide has released a report on Africa’s Best and worst Airports of 2016 based on response from travellers experiences of different airports around the world.
According to the report, the Best Airports in Africa are those that appear to have figured out how to offer travellers an efficient, clean and friendly travel experience. These airports offer reasonably comfortable chairs, clean floors and easy navigation. Coupled with basic services like internet, restaurants, lounges and a few shopping spots, it becomes easy enough to spend your time at these airports.
The best and worst African airports are differentiated by their readiness to offer an efficient, customer-friendly and clean experience with respect to the latter, considered to be repeated poor-timing offenders, with sickly security procedures and incompetent staff, operating in mini dromes.
Overall, South Africa’s Cape Town International Airport, and Kigali International Airport were ranked first and second-best on the continent, respectively, with Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam International Airport (Port Louis) in Mauritius coming in third, Johannesburg OR Tambo International Airport, South Africa, in fourth place.
Kenya’s Jomo Kenyatta International Airport ranked ninth-best in Africa.
Juba International Airport in South Sudan, Port Harcourt International Airport in Nigeria, and Nouakchott Airport in Mauritania were ranked worst airports on the continent.
Globally, Singapore Changi International Airport was ranked the best airport in the world, followed by South Korea’s Seoul Incheon, while Tokyo Haneda in Japan came in third.
Full List Below;
Top 10 Best Airports in Africa
- Cape Town International Airport, South Africa (CPT)
- Kigali International Airport, Rwanda (KGL)
- Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam (Port Louis) International Airport, Mauritius (MRU)
- Johannesburg O.R. Tambo International Airport, South Africa (JNB)
- Algiers Houari Boumediene International Airport, Algeria (ALG)
- Durban King Shaka International Airport, South Africa (DUR)
- Rabat-Sale International Airport, Morocco (RBA)
- Oujda Angads International Airport, Morocco (OUD)
- Nairobi Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, Kenya (NBO)
- Cairo International Airport, Egypt (CAI)
Top 10 Worst Airports;
- Juba International Airport, South Sudan (JUB)
- Port Harcourt International Airport, Nigeria (PHC)
- Nouakchott International Airport, Mauritania (NKC)
- Douala International Airport, Cameroon (DLA)
- N’Djamena International Airport, Chad (NDJ)
- Dar-es-Salaam Julius Nyerere International Airport, Tanzania (DAR)
- Zanzibar Abeid Amani Karume International Airport, Tanzania (ZNZ)
- Lomé–Tokoin Airport, Togo (LFW)
- Lagos Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Nigeria (LOS)
- Marrakesh Menara Airport, Morocco (RAK)